It's been a while since I've updated anything here. In fact, I missed my own one year "blog-aversary," because I have been so busy checking things off my ever expanding (hello nesting!) to do list. So, happy one year of blogging for me and reading for you!
We are still pondering and debating (every day we, I mean I, switch back and forth) what we are going to do about the house- sell or add on. Yaakov wants the new baby to move in with him and Amira, and was very disappointed when I explained that babies need to eat a lot at night, and cry a lot of the time, and that for now, bunking in with the 2 of them probably wasn't the greatest idea, although considering that both he and Amira still frequently end up in our beds anyway, I guess we don't really need more bedrooms, just more room to store clothing!
In more Yaakov news, he is loving school and learning so much. He has his last soccer game this Sunday and momentously, last week his team actually won 5-1 and he didn't run away from the ball when it came at him- he actually kicked it! He really has changed so much in the past couple of months. His absolute favorite thing to do, even more than building Star Wars Legos, is to sit and listen to a book. And he finally learned all his letters and numbers and was extraordinarily proud of himself a couple of nights ago when he read his first word on his own: C3PO. He read me the letters and almost jumped off the bed and said "Mommy, I just READ that! It says C3PO! That's a WORD" He then went on to read "R2D2" and was equally thrilled with that!
Last night we were reading "Make Way for Ducklings," and he asked me if the book was fantasy or reality. I asked him what he thought and he said, it could be reality, but it could also be fantasy since ducks don't really have names and talk. Wow.
He also has a great memory. Once we've read a book twice, he can recite it along with us the next time and will correct us if we miss a word. He loves learning Parsha at school and really gets excited over the stories. Last week there was a huge, gorgeous rainbow in the sky when I picked them up from school and he looked up and told me, "Mommy, that rainbow is just like in Parshas Noach. G-d put it in the sky to remind us that he will never again flood the whole world like he did then." I was absolutely floored and truly thrilled. Now only if he could remember to bring home his jacket every day and actually keep his Kippah on his head, or not lose 10 clips every day...
He finally learned to write his name and just yesterday brought home a picture that he drew in school and I could actually tell what it was:
Pardon the wrinkled paper- he just stuffed it in his backpack, but this was very exciting for me- his first picture! In his words:
"It's a big girl who is 6 years old (hence the purple shoes?) a tree, a house, and some rain and lightening." Love it.
His parent teacher conferences are this Monday and I am very curious to see what his teacher has to say, although last time I saw her (when at school for the PTA project I took on, not having any clue that it would require me to put in a crazy amount of hours of work....) she told me that he has "a very sophisticated vocabulary."
Amira is also loving school and really thriving, thank G-d. She is easily conjugating verbs in Hebrew now, which is really cool to hear, and has already had many tests both in Hebrew and English class. I love testing her on her spelling words- she seems to spell very easily, and visualizes the word as she spells it out. It's very cool. It really boggles my mind that she is so grown up already. In another couple of weeks she will be 8. EIGHT. Her parent teacher conferences aren't until the first week of December, and I am really looking forward to those as well. She comes home every day bubbling over with everything she learned, and what games they played in gym and who played tag with her at recess, and how many points she has accrued towards the teacher's stationary reward (I love this- instead of using junk as a reward, her Hebrew teacher collects their points and they can use them to choose a piece of pretty stationary to use to send someone a letter- brilliant.) and is really super responsible with her home work- to the point that she came into my room in tears last week, 20 minutes after I had put her to bed, because she remembered that she hadn't completed something in school since she had been in the bathroom, and it took me 10 minutes to calm her down and tell her that we could write a note to her teacher asking if she could complete it the next day.
I am working on getting her to get dressed and make her bed every morning before she starts reading, so that I don't come in to her room and have to rush her around at 7 to get ready, when she has already been up and reading for an hour, especially since once she starts reading, it is close to impossible to pull her out....
So, those are some updates from here. Hopefully more to come in the next few weeks before our newest bundle of joy arrives! Meanwhile, happy Thanksgiving to all!

We are waiting for Yaakov to spell Skywalker.
ReplyDeleteLAGrandpa